ZSL London Zoo’s Mouthwatering BBQ Pulled Pork
The dish was one of the undisputed stars of the show at ZSL London Zoo’s recent #ZooSummer showcase event. Served with a delicious cornbread, this is the perfect American-style summertime treat.
Of course, like Ampersand, ZSL takes its animal welfare and green responsibilities very seriously, so we suggest using only the most high welfare pork for this dish.
BBQ Pulled Pork (Serves 4)
For The Pork
- 1.4kg pork belly
- 45gm shallots
- 40gm celery
- 40gm carrot
- 25gm fennel
- 10gm garlic
- A pinch of thyme
- 50ml white wine
For The Bourbon Glaze
- 50ml tomato ketchup
- 20gm brown sugar
- A dash of Worcester sauce
- A 1/4 tsp English mustard
- A dash of bourbon
- A dash of maple syrup
- A dash of cider vinegar
- A drop of fish sauce
- A drop of tabasco
For The Saurkraut
- 1/4 white cabbage
- Half an onion
- 300ml white wine vinegar
- 300ml water
- A pinch sea salt
- A pinch caraway seeds
For The Corn Bread
- 300gm unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan
- 200gm plain flour
- 275gm polenta
- 40gm baking powder
- 5gm bi carb
- 8 gm sea salt
- 525gm buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- Peel and roughly chop vegetables
- Arrange vegetables as a trivet in a large tray and lay belly on top
- Pour wine in tray and cover tightly with foil
- Slow roast in the oven at 140c for 3-4 hours. In the meantime, prepare the glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil
- Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened
- Remove the pork from the oven when a knife passes through without resistance
- Remove pork from tray and allow to cool slightly
- Pull pork while still warm
- Mix half the glaze through the pulled pork and roll in cling film to form a cylinder
- Place in the fridge and allow to firm up
- Slice Pork Belly in 1 cm rounds
- Remove cling film and place on a flat tray
To Make the Sauerkraut
- Thinly slice cabbage and onion
- Sweat down in a little oil
- Add caraway seed and salt and fry off
- Add vinegar and water, bring to the boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender
To Make the Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Melt the butter Set it aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and the melted butter.
- Add to the flour-cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake until the cornbread just begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Glaze pork belly with BBQ sauce and roast through the oven
- Place warm sauerkraut in the bottom of bowl
- Add diced corn bread
- Top with hot and glazed pork belly
- Garnish with coriander